Editable grids, one of the most highly requested features for Microsoft Dynamics 365, provide rich inline editing in main grids and sub-grids so you can update the information you need with fewer clicks.
Editable grids support:
- In-grid editing of records at the entity or sub-grid level
- Web and mobile clients
- Navigation using a keyboard or mouse
- Grouping and Sorting (Able to group by/sort by any column on current view)
- Moving and resizing columns
- Lookup configuration
- Calculated fields and Rollup fields
- Business rules
- Hierarchical view
- Enabling or disabling of cells based on security role
The Editable Grids control is available for Dynamics CRM Online and Dynamics CRM On-Premises.
Keep in mind that you should have a dynamics 365 instance (either trail or production) to check this feature working. For testing this feature we recommend creating a new dynamics 365 trial from here
How to Enable:
Step 1: Navigate to Settings > Customizations > Customize the System
Step 2: Click on the entity for which you want to enable editable grid on. (eg: Account). click the Controls tab, and then click Add Controls to display the Add Control dialog
Step 3: Now select Editable Grid and click on add to add the selected:
Step 4: You can see editable grid control added. By default “Microsoft Dynamics 365 Read only Grid”is selected for web,phone and tablet:
Step 5: Select editable grid for the option of your choice(eg:web) :
Step 6: Now click save and publish:
Note: If you’d like to see a how you can work with Lookups in the grid too, click Add Lookup under Property to display the Configure Property Add Lookup dialog and configure the same.
Now open any view of account (eg: my active accounts).
You can see that all records in the view are editable:
You can also set grouping/sorting based the visible fields in the view as below:
- Editable Grid respect read-only grid metadata and configurations
- Editable Grid supports most of data types except:
- Customer type field
- Composite field
- Lookup entity related fields
- Editable Grid support the below entity level Business Rules:
- Show error message
- Set field value
- Set business required
- Set default value
- Lock or unlock field
So this was all about editable grid in Dynamics 365 for you.